District Mission Statement:
The Taylor County School District is committed to equipping students for life-long learning through lessons in academics, accountability, and attitude.
Welcome to the Taylor County District Home Education Website. This website is designed to provide parents and guardians with the procedures necessary to successfully home educate their child in Taylor County
According to Florida Statute 1002.01, parents are eligible to home educate their children. Home education is defined by FS as “sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent in order to satisfy the attendance requirements of ss. 1002.41, 1003.01(13), and 1003.21(1).
Please review the legal responsibilities and obligations carefully prior to enrolling your child into home education. We suggest that you review the information provided by the Office of Independent Education and Parental Choice Website and Florida Department of Education information for Home Education.
Home education is an option for a growing number of parents. Some parents prepare their own materials and design their own programs of study, while others use materials produced by companies specializing in homeschool materials. Some take advantage of virtual school programs or other educational resources available on the Internet. Of course, exercising this option may require major changes in your family schedule. Teaching your children at home is an ambitious undertaking, requiring time, planning, creativity, and commitment.
Questions to Consider about Home Education:
Have you identified curriculum materials for your child, and how much they will cost?
- Is there a suitable place for your child's study and instruction?
- Do other families in your area homeschool their children?
- Is there a support group of homeschoolers near you?
- If you are interested in some outside instructional support, have you checked your local library, parks departments, scouting organizations, public and private schools, and similar resources?
- Have you searched the Web for resources on instruction, legal issues, support groups, and other matters?
- Have you identified other resources you will need?